Saturday, June 7, 2008

The Day on Her Head

Because of the economic situation, people don’t really hold on to their money for very long (The value of the Zim is less than ¼ of what it was when I arrived. The solution - print bigger bills). Part of it is very tragic - it is very hard for people to save up for anything beyond their basic needs. There is another aspect of it, however, that is beautiful…

Last Sunday the pastor preached a sermon in Shona. He would give the Scripture references and a few key points in English so we could follow along. He spoke primarily out of a section in Philippians 4:

“I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength.”

Yesterday I saw I woman carrying large bag of mielie meal (a very fine corn meal used to make Sadza) on her head. She probably had enough to last a family about a week. It was amazing to see her balance a bag that size on her head. A little kid was playing bora (ball), and kicked it to her. She, still balancing the bag on her head, kicked it back - then waited for him to pass it again.

Back at home I often find myself worrying about the next year…or four years….or ten years. Here in Zimbabwe I have often been reminded of a lifestyle that Jesus presented: “Give us today our daily bread.”

A few weeks ago I was talking to a Shona man. He was telling me about life in Zimbabwe and I was telling him about life in America. I tried to explain how some people in America trust in their wealth instead of G-d. I told of how it can be easy to ignore Him and ‘worship’ money. When I was done with my explanation, I asked if what I said made any sense. He quietly responded, “No - how can someone have everything they need and not thank G-d for it all? If I had all of that wealth I would thank G-d for blessing me.”

Every morning Mother Teresa , one of my heroes, would start the day with this prayer:
“Make us worthy, Lord, to serve our fellow men, who are living and dieing throughout the world in poverty and hunger. Give them, through our hands, this day their daily bread, and by our understanding Love, give Peace and Joy.”

I have seen many women carry their daily food on their heads. I hope that I can, now and when I return home, be content with my daily bread. I must learn to let tomorrow worry about tomorrow. As for now I must only carry today.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Trenton, Sounds like things in Zim are going fairly well.

I love this post as it is something that I have been trying to work on for the past week. Living life day by day. I've always worried where I would be 3 months from now or how life would be at Christmas time that I was forgetting the joy of now.

It looks like God is opening your eyes to a lot of good things. I look forward to continuing to read about your journey and all that God will be doing. Praying for you.

Heather